Monday, March 15, 2010

The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini was a book that touched me. I was involved with the main character, Amir, from the very beginning. At times I was against, but I was always rooting for him. The setting really made this book what it came to be. Afghanistan life is different from American life by far. The overall message given by the book was what really touched me.

The book progresses throughout Amir's life. When he is a kid, he is a bully to his servent, Hassan. He was also struggling for affection from his father. I believe that is what made him mean to Hassan. At those times, I was against Amir, but I was rooting for him. I wanted him to be kind, but I understood the pain he was going through. I wanted him to get the affection he deserved. When he was an adult, Amir carried a lot of pain. He couldn't forgive himself for something that happened. I wanted Amir to have peace at those times.

Set in Afghanistan, The Kite Runner gave me insight on a different life. The events that occured shocked and horrified me. I was appauled that people actually had to indure days like those desccribed in the book. I guess I was just denying that anything like that could happen. I knew things went wrong, but I never knew the extent at which they did.

The book sent a deep message to all who read it. Amir was carrying a lot of pain and grief because of something that happened when he was a kid. What made things so terrible was that Amir never told anyone what happened. He was left to deal with this pain all alone. I felt for Amir in those times during the book. He was a kid that got scared, one who didn't know what to do. And for that, he did wrong things in the time that followed. But, he should have asked for forgiveness, maybe then he wouldn't have been tormented.

The Kite Runner had me intereste all throughout the book. I felt like I was apart of what was happening. I really wanted to reach out at times and help. This book really made me think about things and appreciate the life I have now.

No comments:

Post a Comment