Friday, October 16, 2009

Book Review for Annie between the States

With war come many casualties. Whether they are actual deaths, or just an end in some way, the casualties are unavoidable. This is proven to Annie Sinclair, a half-Irish Virginian girl during the Civil War. The theme of this book, along with the characters and setting make for a fascinating read. L.M. Elliot’s Annie between the States draws the reader into a Civil War world unknown to many.

First of all, the theme of this book really gives the reader something to think about. With the war comes confusion and disarray. Annie was a loyal Virginian at the start of the war. But progressively through the war, Annie finds herself questioning the idea of slavery and the practices that some southerners believe heartily in. With witnessing bloody battles, men dying, and the change in her younger brother, all of which was caused from the war, Annie learns that loyalty to ones state may not necessarily mean agreeing with their beliefs and actions.

Annie was a great heroine in this book. She entertained me and touched me at times. Her stubbornness and independence reached out to me and reminded me of what I could be. Also, Laurence, Annie’s older brother reminded me of my older brother, David. It is really easy to relate to Annie in this book. She practically grows up over the course of the book, so I can see how she has changed throughout time. Her bravery and extreme courage inspire me to be a better person, to stand up for what I believe, and to live life, no matter what may come my way.

Lastly, the setting of this book helped to bring understanding of the Civil War and what it was like. Virginia was a good place to set the book in. Virginia was a big war spot during this time, so the points of view of the families in Virginia show how the war really affected the people during that time. Hickory Heights, Annie’s Home, also gave way for hideouts and raids. This made the book very interesting.

With many conflicts, internal and external, this book was intriguing. The thought that some events similar to those in the book actually occurred during the Civil War is down right appalling. If people can be so malicious during war, I fear another Civil War or a war on our homefront. Elliot brought about a very entertaining story full of conflict, death, and even love.

499 pgs

No comments:

Post a Comment