Friday, October 16, 2009

Book Review for Touching Spirit Bear

Everything in life is either a circle or can be solved with a circle. Or at least that’s what Circle Justice members believe in the exciting book, Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelson. To begin with, I found myself reaching out to the characters in this book. Also, The setting really helped to bring this book together. Lastly, I could relate to Cole in a sense (scary, I know). Ben Mikaelson’s Touching Spirit Bear touches most who read the book and makes for a good inspiration.

The characters in this book, for instance, go through a lot along the way, and make for an inspiring story. Cole Matthews had a rough childhood, with alcoholic parents, one of which beat him, and one who ignored all the troubles. It was no wonder Cole turned out to be an angry, merciless teenager. It turns out that Cole has gone through a lot and has a lot of change ahead of him if he wants to stay out of jail. He is stubborn and wants to con his way out of trouble. This makes me want to reach out to him. Whether I’m reading the parts about his past and want to reassure him, or I’m reading about his troubled mind and old, angry ways and want to push him to change, I can’t help but reach out to Cole Matthews.

The setting of this book really brought everything together. With the remote island in Alaska, it really shows how alone we can be at times, and how that can change us. Sometimes we have to lose everything to realize what we actually had. The setting also made it possible to show how stubborn Cole can be, and how arrogant. Cole thought he could swim in the ocean to the nearest island and escape his punishment. Also, the setting made it possible for the spirit bear to show up on the island. The spirit bear being on the island shaped the way the story unfolded and made the book as interesting as the book got.

Lastly, I can relate to Cole. Cole has a troubled past with parents that didn’t necessarily live up to expectations. I haven’t had the best experiences with my parents either. This part of the book taught me a little about myself. Also, Cole was so stubborn, he wouldn’t even let himself cry. Even with all the emotional scars Cole had, he still wouldn’t let himself cry. If I’m in certain situations, I won’t let myself cry either. I can be really stubborn about some things too. That’s a common descriptive word given to me. Also, Cole lost a lot along the way in this book. Maybe Mikaelson was trying to teach us something. Along the way, I have lost too. But, like Cole, I managed to make it out all right with a little outside help.

With real meaning behind every event and characters that I’m drawn too, Ben Mikaelson’s Touching Spirit Bear drives the reader forward. Also, this book gives a new sight on teenager’s thoughts and a new hope for many. After reading this book, one only feels optimistic. Ben Mikaelson has a large heart, as is evident from this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment